- Provide tools and knowledge to help extension veterinarians do their job better.
- Position extension veterinarians as important resources for and partners with organizations involved with animal and public health
- Engage CSREES to promote the animal, public, and environmental health and well-being objectives of that agency
- Provide collaborative and networking opportunities between extension veterinarians
- In order to develop appreciation of scholarly contributions of veterinary extension, establish objective evaluation standards for extension veterinarians by administrative units.
AAEV meets annually at the USAHA convention. For the past five years, The organization sponsors the "Applied Animal and Public Health Research and Extension Symposium" in conjunction with the annual meeting.